Notifications
Clear all

Requiem: Tony Joe White  

RSS

ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 25, 2018 4:15 pm  

We started this elsewhere, so I'll copy/paste that here.

Tony Joe White with the Foo Fighters on Letterman

Gary - Tony Joe died? Man, I didn't hear about that. Not as famous as his talent might have deserved, but I agree...the great Tony Joe White. I wrote somewhere that he had two great talents, song writing and guitar playing. I am of the opinion that he focusedmore on his guitar than his song writing, which is perhaps why he wasn't more well known. I don't know that this is true.

A lot of people don't know that he wrote, "Rainy Night In Georgia." If you're one of them, well...now you know.

Terry - I think he wasn't as famous because he played a style that wasn't considered radio-friendly. There are lots of amazing artist around, always have been, who don't fit into the big boxes we use to sort our culture.

Chris Early "Way down South, they got this...weed. It kinda looks like a...a weed. They carry it home...in a...Totusek!" ~ Gary Wasson

Terry - We both played that song behind Gary many, many times, didn't we Chris? 

I wish we had recordings of those old shows.

Gary - I owned the 45 rpm single. For years I thought he was referring to Annie's mother as a "straight razor toed woman." Which, if you've ever slept with someone with a ragged toenail, is pretty much as evocative as the real lyric.

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 25, 2018 4:21 pm  

Gary - I owned the 45 rpm single. For years I thought he was referring to Annie's mother as a "straight razor toed woman." Which, if you've ever slept with someone with a ragged toenail, is pretty much as evocative as the real lyric.

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote